Thursday, December 3, 2009

the one you love

a little boy in my class was to be gone from school for the next month on a trip to china with his family. this tuesday afternoon our secretary saw me in the hallway, pulled me into a dark book room and gave me very sad news. the family had stopped in california to visit friends before going to china and the little boys dad passed away in his sleep. my heart began beating a thousand miles an hour and i almost didn't believe what the secretary was saying. anytime one hears something like that it makes your breath stop for a split second. my heart is so sad for the family, this man's wife, three kids, and especially the little boy. he has had a very hard time adjusting to school, not wanting to leave his parents and now to lose his daddy...i can't even imagine.

i didn't sleep very well that night, lots of thoughts were running through my head. i kept waking up making sure the one i love was still lying there with me. i would be lost without marty. i also thought about how much i love my daddy and how fortunate i am to have had him to raise me into the person i have become.

this holiday season i am so thankful for the health of my family members and friends. i love you all very much!

3 comments:

tiff said...

well said carly...your words brought tears to my eyes!

i totally agree...i wake up often to hear rick breath...i don't know what i would ever do without him!

my heart aches for that family...it will be a challenging time!

hugs to you!

Unknown said...

That is really sad. This also brought tears to my eyes. I'm really sorry to hear that. It reminds you that life is just way too short and we should cherish every moment that we have together. Love ya!

Andrew Spanding said...

Ugh- that is so sad - Especially since I have a precious child I cant even imagine the heart ache and loss I would feel if this were my situation - but for a little child to lose a daddy - my mind can hardly let me even think about it - its too overwhelmingly sad - what a tragedy! : (